July, 2012. I organized and hosted my two Summer Reading Series Poetry Events at the Eugene Public Library. They were a great success and everyone had a wonderful time. The library has invited me back to do them again next year.
1. Saturday, July 14th, 2012: A Basic Poetry Workshop with four panel members teaching. I was the Host and lead panel member. We had a turnout of about 25 people. The students were engaged and all said they had a wonderful time and would like to do more.
2. Saturday, July 21st, 2012: A Poetry Showcase & Open Mic Reading. I was the Host and featured Performance Poet. Additionaly, I had 12 local poets read and perform. My Keynote reader was Ralph Salisbury: poet, teacher and Professor Emeritus and the University of Oregon; his latest collection of poetry was nominated for a Pulitzer prize. For the open mic reading, we had fourteen other poets read. Everyone commented how diverse and entertaining it was compared to most readings they attend.
I have been working hard on my three poetry events for the library and so have not had any time to read or perform in the last couple of months.
1. The Basic Poetry Workshop is set and we are doing it this Saturday, July 14th from 1:00 - 5:00 P.M., with a panel of four including myself. It will be a fun time and I have had great help from my fellow panel members Roy K. Johnston, Jean Marie Purcell and Michele Graf. But Michele, especially, has proved invaluable!
2. The Showcase Of Local Poets & Open Mic Poetry Reading is set to go also. It will take place the following Saturday, July 21st, also from 1:00 - 5:00 P.M. Once again, I have had help from Michele on this, and the panel and friends will help out at the event. This has taken up the most of my time and I have an amazing lineup of poets to read & perform including...
First Hour — Showcase of Literary / Traditional Poetry:
Ralph Salisbury is our Keynote Reader, Literary poet and Professor Emeritus at UO. Charles Thielman and Michele Graf will also read during this hour.
Second Hour — Showcase of Performance Poetry: C. Steven Blue is the Keynote Performer (with Music and Drums). Also performing this hour: Izzy Whetstine, with Jack Neidermann on Jazz Bass; Kit Chell, perfoming a scene from his poetic opera, Hard Knock Skin: A Poetic Opera by Kit Chell, Scene Three, “The Orchard.” Performing with Kit, Jeanette Rasnack on vocals, Jack Neidermann on Bass, Michael Heas on Flute; Leo Rivers, Poems of Place in Motion.
Third Hour — Panel Members and Co-Sponsor Poetry: Roy K. Johnston, Panel Member, Performer, Professor, Poet and Pioneer in the field of cultural integration; Michael “Hoss” Barker, logger and cowboy style poet, Groundwaters Magazine; Jean Marie Purcell, Panel member, Groundwaters Magazine; Jennifer Chambers, Contributing Editor, Groundwaters Magazine; Rachel Rich, Groundwaters Magazine.
Fourth Hour — Open Reading: Up to three spots are being reserved for participants in the previous week’s workshop; we’re hoping to provide them possibly their first public readings. After that, the mic is open for three-minute readings. Sign-up sheet for this part starts at 1 pm.
3. The Eugene 150th Birthday Celebration Poetry Event is under way, with many poets already having submitted work to be considered for our limited edition chapbook, to be read and presented at this event, which is Saturday, September 29th, 2012. More on this event later.
And much, much more to come...
My intention with this blog is to catalog and update my progress as I pursue my writing career in retirement. I will be posting about poetry events I am involved in, as well as the publishing and performing of my work. Here you can observe my adventures. Feel free to comment.